EWBC Kingfisher Report

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Many-banded Daggerwing at EWBC


On October 5th, I took a short stroll around our 3.5 acre garden and to my surprise spotted a single Many-banded Daggerwing (Marpesia chiron) feeding on the recent bloosms of a Brush Holly. If it weren't for the sweet aroma coming from the shrubs tiny flowers I may have never noticed the fluttering beauty.

As it sat quietly in the midst of 50 or so Queens and hundreds of buzzing bees, I took a digital snapshot of this tropical butterfly. Although the photo is not of the greatest quality it is definitly good enough to post. I recall Butterfly expert, Gil Quintanilla stating that this particular butterfly had not been spotted at EWBC since 2004, which was an even greater surprise to me.

So if you're ever around the Edinburg area feel free to come check us out. You just might spot our third Many-banded Daggerwing and who knows what else.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home